Friday, December 31, 2010

Merry Christmas from the ER

Marcus had planned such a delicious Christmas Eve dinner filled with prime rib, corn and shrimp chowder and broccoli salad. I could hardly wait to spend the day with family listening to Christmas music and playing games.

All that changed at about 10pm on December 22 when I got extremely sick. Some type of stomach virus took me by storm and after a sleepless, sickening night, Marcus finally took me to the ER at 9am. By this time, the virus had also struck him and he was just as sick as me. When we checked into the ER, they were ready to admit both of us but Marcus was trying to be brave and let them tend to me.

After a couple hours, they admit me because my calcium and potassium levels were so low from being sick all night. I was so scared that me being sick would affect the baby in some way so I was thankful that they were going to keep me overnight to monitor the baby and I.

Christmas eve morning rolled around and began swelling very badly. They weren't sure what was causing it so I would need more tests ran which meant another night in the hospital. :(

So Marcus goes home to get ready for another night in the hospital. To my surprise, he comes back with Christmas decorations and our santa hats. So sweet!

6pm rolls around and we are flipping through the hospital tv for Christmas movies. When who to our surprise walks in the room but my wonderful OB. He said he was sitting at home wondering how I was doing and if my levels were back up. After an hour of him checking all the test results, he released me to go home under strict eating and drinking restrictions.

We couldn't believe it! I would get to spend Christmas Eve in my own bed. We still wouldn't be able to spend Christmas day with our family but we were so thankful that we were able to spend the day together cuddled on the couch. Dr. Sudela was our Christmas miracle.

No comments:

Post a Comment